Pranayama is the conscious and deliberate control and regulation of the breath (Prana means breath, ayam means to control, to regulate). With each breath we absorb not only oxygen, but also Prana. Prana is cosmic energy, the power in the Universe that creates, preserves and changes. It is the basic element of life and consciousness.
What is Pranayama :
What is Pranayama :
- It is the art of breath manipulation and energy balance. Pranayama involves breathing techniques practiced thousands of different ways.
- Breath is a physical aspect or external manifestation of prana, the vital force, and thus pranayama begins with the regulation of the breath.
- Breath, like electricity, is gross prana, while prana itself is subtle. By controlling the breath you can control the prana – just as you can control the other wheels by controlling or stopping the fly wheel of a diesel engine, and just as you can control the hairspring, cog wheels and the main spring of a watch by controlling the minute hand.
- Control of breath is achieved through manipulation of the lungs and the breathing process.
- Pranayama is the perfect control of the life-currents through control of breath, and is the process by which we understand the secret of prana and manipulate it. You can hardly make any spiritual progress without the practice of pranayama. One who has grasped this prana has grasped the very core of cosmic life and activity. Through various exercises and training in pranayama the yogi tries to realize in this little body the whole of cosmic life, and attain perfection.
Effects of Pranayamas
- Preservation of the body’s health
- Purification of the blood
- Improvement in the absorption of oxygen
- Strengthening the lungs and heart
- Regulation of blood pressure
- Regulation of the nervous system
- Supporting the healing process and healing therapies
- Increasing resistance to infection
- Elimination of stress, nervousness and depression
- Quietening of thoughts and emotions
- Inner balance
- Release of energy blockages
- Spiritual Effects
- Deepening of meditation
- Awakening and purification of the Chakras (energy centres)
- Expansion of consciousness
Articles in this Section: