Power Yoga is a derivative of Ashthanga Yoga and it involves synchronizing the breath with a progressive series of postures—a process producing intense internal heat and a profuse, purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind.
Power Yoga is considered to be one of the best natural ways of losing weight. It is medically safe and has no side effects.
Power Yoga for Weight Loss – Most Effective Asanas / Workouts
- Lie down on the floor on your back. Lift your right leg in upward direction at an angle of 90 degree. Fold your right leg from your knee and place it on your stomach. Press your leg firmly against your stomach. Hold it with your hands and press it. Release. Repeat the same with left leg too. One can even practice this pose with both the legs at the same time. This is a great power yoga pose for losing excess weight from the abdominal region and stomach.
- Lie down on the floor on your belly, palms placed on the floor besides your chest. Lift your upper body up, chest off the floor. Bend backwards as much as you can. Look upwards. Remain steady for some time and release. This pose is a great workout for firming the buttocks and toning the abs.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach. Bend your legs from your knees and lift up your legs from behind. Arch your back and try to hold your legs with your hands. Remain steady for some time and then release. Relax. This pose is a great yoga activity for toning and losing extra fat from your arms and legs.
- Sit on the floor, spread out your legs straight in front of you. Bend on the knees and place your feet on the floor. Slip your left foot under your right knee in such a way that it is placed to the outside of the right hip. Place your right leg on top of your left leg. Bend your hands from the elbow backwards & stretch it in upward direction. The palm of your left hand should be placed behind on your back & exactly below the neck. Relax. Gomukhasana is a healthy option for toning your body muscles and losing fats.
- Sit on the floor in a straight position, spread legs out in front you. Exhale and bend your body in the front direction from your waist until your hands reach your toes. Try to catch your toes with your hands. Rest your forehead on the outer side of your calf muscles or your knees. Remain steady for some time and then relax. Paschimottanasana is the best option of power yoga for weight loss especially for those who wish to lose belly fat.
- Kneel down on the floor and sit on your heels. Keep your hands on the floor, fingers towards your body, thumb pointing outwards and palms pressed against the ground. Place elbows in such a way that they are pressed against your belly. Straighten your legs from behind and stretch them. Lift your body up, on your hands and legs. Your body and legs should be parallel to the floor. Relax. Mayurasana is a good option for shedding extra fats saturated in stomach region.
- Stand on the floor in straight position, hands besides the body. Lift your left leg up, fold it from the knee and wrap it around the right leg. Lift your hands up, bring them in front of the chest and wrap the left hand around the right hand. Look straight. Relax. Garuda Asana stretches and strengthens shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle muscles. This is a very good weight loss option for those who dream of thinner legs, thighs, arms and hands.
- Stand with the feet together and the arms by your sides Inhale and spread your legs apart slightly further than shoulder distance. Stretch your arms straight out from the shoulders parallel to the floor with your palms facing down. Exhale slowly and turn your right foot toward the right 90 degrees. Bend your right knee about 90 degrees. Place the palm of your left hand flat on the floor next to the outside of your right foot. Place your right hand on your right thigh; lift your left hand up in the air and stretch it towards the right side from over your head. Look towards right side. Repeat the same activity on the other side too. Relax. This pose can be of great help for those who wish to shed fat from the sides.
- It is a good exercise for your abs, thighs and arms. It increases your lungs capacity as well. For this, stand on the floor in a straight position. Spread your legs far apart. Turn your right leg in the right direction and consequently turn your left leg in the same direction. Raise your hands in the upward direction and stretch them. Join your palms together in prayer position. Look upwards. Relax. Virbhadrasana is one such great power yoga exercises for weight loss.
- It is a common sequence of 12 body postures which translates into doing 288 powerful yoga poses in a span of 12 to 15 minutes. One round of Sun Salutation consists of 12 yoga poses.One set consists of two rounds of Sun Salutation:first stretching the right side of your body and then the left side. So, when you do 12 sets of Sun Salutation, you are completing 12 sets x 2 rounds in each set x 12 yoga poses in each = 288 yoga poses in 12 to 15 minutes.