Kapalbhati Pranayama consists of short, powerful exhales and passive inhales. "Kapal" means forehead and "bhati" means shining. Eventually, Kapabhati bring glow on the face of the practitioner. It is a miraculous breathing exercise for complete body fitness and it benefits in even those diseases which are impossible to be cured by medicines like diabetes, asthma etc.
Procedure : Push air forcefully out. Stomach will itself go in.
Duration : Start with 30 times or 1 min. increase upto 5 mins min. upto 10 minutes max.
Benefits : Increases aabha and tej. Helps in obesity, constipation, gastric, acidity, Croesus(liver), hepatitis B, uterus, diabetes, stomach problems, cholesterol, allergic problems, asthma, snoring, concentration, and even cancer and AIDS.
Tips : Heart and high BP patients, and weak people should do it slowly.
Kapal Bhati Pranayama- Detailed Description
‘Kapal’ means forehead and ‘Bhati’ means light. Hence, Kapal-Bhati refers to that exercise which makes the forehead luminous and lustrous. Kapal-Bhati Pranayama makes its Sadhak’s head luminous. This Pranayama is a little different from Bhastrika Pranayama.
In Bhastrika Pranayama, Puraka and Recak are done with the same amount of force, where as in Kapal-Bhati more attention is to be given to the act of forceful Rechak.
In Kapal-Bhati, the Puraka is to be done with normal, usual force but the Recak has to be done with as much of force as is at your command. In doing so, the abdominal area, also makes inward and outward movements and considerable force is applied to the Manipura, Svadhisthana and Muladhara Chakra.
Duration and Practising Tips:
- This Pranayama should easily be done for five minutes. In short, breathe in normally and breathe out forcefully, so as to influence the organs of the abdominal area.
- The breath should be exhaled in a rhythmic flow once in a second and should be held up effortlessly.
- Non-stop kapalabhati pranayama is done 60 times in one minute or 300 times in 5 minutes.
- Very sick and weak persons get tired in 2-3 minutes in the beginning, but in 10-15 days every person becomes capable of doing kapalabhati non- stop for 5 minutes.
- Kapalabhati must be done for 5 minutes in one sitting. One cannot get full benefit if it is done for a lesser time.
- With the increase in capacity after a long practice as well as with the maturity of experience one can do kapalabhati pranayama up to 15 minutes.
- A healthy and even slightly sick person should do kapalabhati for 15 minutes.
- In three rounds in 15 minutes kapalabhati is done 900 times.
- Persons suffering from incurable diseases like cancer, AIDS, hepatitis, leucoderma, vitiligo, psoriasis, excessive obesity, infertility, cysts/ nodules in uterus, ovary, breast or any where in the body, MS and SLE should do kapalabhati for half an hour.
- It would be better if such incurable patients do kapalabhati for half an hour both in the morning and evening.
- For healthy and slightly sick persons once a day is sufficient.
Shiva Sankalpa (Vow) at the time of performing Kapal Bhati
While doing this Pranayama think that while exhaling you are throwing all the diseases out of your body. Individuals with mental aberrations like anger, greed, self-ego attachment etc. should develop a feeling of throwing out all the negative and injurious elements along with the air exhaled. In this way the feeling of getting rid of diseases while exhaling imparts a special benefit to the individual
- Diseases of heart, lungs and brain get cured.
- Obesity, diabetes, flatulence, constipation, acidity and diseases pertaining to kidneys and prostate glands etc. are cured.
- If done regularly for five minutes daily, it relieves constipation, Blood sugar becomes normal and weight in the abdominal region reduces considerably.
- Blockages in the arteries are also cleared.
- Peace and stability of mind are achieved. No negative thoughts occur. Troubles like depression are cured.
- Chakras are purified and ¡¡chakras from Muladhar-Chakra to Sahsrar Chakra are filled with pious Cosmic Energy.
- Organs in the abdominal cavity viz. stomach, pancreas, liver, spleen, intestine, prostrate and kidney function more efficiently and develop immunity towards diseases. This is the best exercise; benefits accrued by this cannot be obtained by several other asanas. It strengthens the intestines and improves digestion
- Face become Lustrous and attractive
- Diseases related to Kapha like asthma, respiratory troubles, allergies, sinus, etc. are cured.